I can’t believe that the holiday season is upon us. This lady is a lover of all things sunny and warm. But since the calendar says otherwise, it’s time to prepare for the holiday season. While we don’t normally travel during the holidays, many people do. Want more time to pack? Then my slow cooker cranberry-apple french toast should help.
*This post may contain affiliate links. They don’t cost you anything to purchase through my links and a portion comes back to me. This post is also adapted from my other blog, Making Our Life Matter.
The holidays can be SO busy, especially if you are packing or arranging hotel accommodations or air travel. Who has time to think about cooking. So slow cooker cranberry-apple french toast is the perfect solution.
How To Make The Slow Cooker Cranberry Apple French Toast:
1. The night before, cube the bread into smaller pieces. Let sit in a bag until morning so it gets hard. Now, I know that this is a French toast casserole, but we prefer Italian bread. I think it soaks in the egg mixture better. BONUS: This is a great way to get a member of the family involved by working together in the kitchen to cube the bread. You can catch up on life and take a few moments to enjoy the quiet before the festivities.
2. Peel and chop apples into chunks.
BONUS TIME SAVING TIP: Use already sliced apples in a bag and just cut off the peel.
3. In a bowl, add the eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon, beat until blended.If you really want a unique taste, use homemade vanilla. Once I started using homemade vanilla, there was no going back.
4. Pour egg mixture over bread, and stir. Gently fold in dried cranberries(if you know how to use fresh ones, have at it!) and apples.
5. Spray your slow cooker lightly with cooking spray, and spoon bread mixture into crockpot. KITCHEN TIP: For easy clean up, use slow cooker liners.
6. In a separate bowl, cream brown sugar and butter to form crumbles, and sprinkle over bread mixture. I also added a little bit of apple pie spice for some extra zing. BONUS TIP: You can use a fork, or wash your hands well and use your fingers to create the crumbles. One less utensil to clean, and a great way to unleash any excess energy you have preparing for your holiday celebration.
7. Turn high for 2-3 hours, then turn down to warm. By the time you have your morning holiday prep done, breakfast will be ready for you to enjoy! 8. Relax and enjoy with a cup of coffee or a glass of milk.
Here are some other travel posts you might enjoy:
- Travel Journals For Kids
- Plan Your Disney Vacation With These Great Books
- Must-Have Items For The Inexperienced Traveler
- Things To Do On A Girls’ Weekend
So there you have one of my favorite personal recipes that is a great travel hack. Be sure to leave a comment belong and share your favorite recipes that are great for a family that is about to travel for the holiday season.