I don’t know about you, but every Summer I look forward to our favorite vacation. I know that everyone has their favorite place to go(hey, leave a comment and share YOUR favorite vacation spot). One of the most expensive aspects of being on vacation can be the food and drink. However, here are some easy ways to save money on meals while you are on vacation. *
Easy Ways To Save Money On Meals While You Are On Vacation:
- Know before you go. When planning your trip, research the area you will be staying in. Check out the restaurants to see the price of the entrees and kids’ meals. Also see if there is anything special going on at the time you will be there, like Restaurant Week, where a 3-course meal with wine will cost around $20, or a Lobsterfest, Oktoberfest and so on.Choose a room with a refrigerator and microwave. Plan to shop for the basics when you get there, such as milk and cereal, if you have small children. Stock up on snacks too. Bring reusable water bottles and water purification tablets if you are going overseas. These are great ways to save money on meals when you are on vacation.
- Choose your accommodation wisely. Accommodations can sometimes include meals. For example, many of the motel chains offer a free hot breakfast. Eat well in the morning and that can tide you over for many hours.
- Eat out on the weeknights, not the weekends. There are often special deals on certain weekdays to entice more people to come out to dine, so make the most of them. If you do have to eat out, may sure you go for happy hour or early bird dinner specials. These are great(and easy)ways to save money on food and drink when we are on vacation.
- Enjoy a big lunch and a light dinner. The lunch menu is often the same food, but far cheaper.
- Look for buffets. They will usually charge you per person no matter what the age of your children, but buffets are a great way to taste everything.
- Pack well. Head to a warehouse store and buy granola bars or other snacks in bulk. Bring a reusable water bottle for each person. Have nuts on hand. Buy bread and a jar of peanut butter. The sandwiches will hold up well no matter what the weather.
- Have a backpack to carry the snacks and water in. Bring a Thermos and fill it up each morning with coffee at the hotel. Bring a Tupperware for storing leftovers from buffets, or from your doggie bags. Leftovers make a great lunch!
- Ask the locals. The hotel staff or people who live in the area will usually know what’s good, at a good price. You can end up discovering some fantastic meals for great prices.
BONUS TIP: Steer clear of drinks on the menu. It is important to stay hydrated, so be sure to drink the water at the table. If you do have to have a drink, steer clear of fancy cocktails, and go for beer or wine. Drink one glass of water for every alcoholic beverage you have to keep costs down. Order one soda and divide it into the water glasses. You will get the taste without all the sugar and calories.
So those are some of my favorite tips to save money on your meals during vacation. Don’t get me wrong, eating is a favorite part of our vacation, but that doesn’t mean we have to spend a fortune. After all, we need to get some souvenirs as well!
So what is your favorite way to save money on meals while on you are on vacation?
*This post was adapted from a post on my other blog, Making Our Life Matter.