I am going to preface this post by saying that I have only been outside of the United States twice in my life. And both to the same country. So I am not exactly the world’s most experienced traveler. At least, not yet. I have some exciting trips planned in the future, so I am excited that I will be able to add more stamps to my passport. Today I am sharing how to pack a carry-on for a weekend getaway.*
Oh, in case you wanted to know what country I have been to before, it is Jamaica. Even though I have been here before, I am SO EXCITED to be heading back! There is definitely NO place like Jamaica.
So below I am sharing what I found to be the perfect way to pack a carry-on for a weekend getaway.
*Disclosure: The links I have to the products are my affiliate links. If you purchase anything from those links, it doesn’t cost you anymore than the cost, but I get a small portion back. I am using it to satisfy my own travel bucket list.
How To Pack A Carry-on For A Weekend Getaway:
I normally have this really nice rolling suitcase that I use as my plane carry on. But since this is a short trip, I decided to scale down and make it easier to manage. I do have my camera bag as my purse, and both of these will fit nicely under the seat of the plane.
All the products I used for this post will be found at the end of the post, so if you see something you are interested in, feel free to go shopping for your next trip.
- First you will need a sturdy backpack. I found this one and the size is perfect for my small body. I decided on pink so it would be easy for me to find in a hurry.
- And you can’t enjoy a plane ride without a good book.
- And, of course, you need a guide book to learn about your destination and a journal to record all your precious memories.(Have you figured out yet where we are headed?)
- It is important to have the right drinking container. For me, it is a YETI. And thanks to ETSY, I was able to personalize it as well.
- Most places have check-in after 3pm, so I have the perfect solution: Pack your swimsuit and flip flops so you can change and get in the pool.
BONUS TIP: Roll your cover-up, suit, and sandals in order to save space. It will fit much easier in your plane carry on.
- I purchased a RFID wallet to keep my insurance card, driver’s license, and business cards in it. I can keep it in my plane carry on bag so that it is always in reach.
- Our ride to our resort was 90 minutes one way. So, I am packing a portable charging block to make sure I always have power available. I really like this one because it is powerful, yet fits easily in your pocket.
- Along the same lines, I purchased this cord keeper so everything is together. I added a few extra cords and power blocks as well. (Geez, I just realized that everything is pink. I am generally not a pink person.)
And, of course, don’t forget the most important things: your passport and your resort documents.
The passport holder fits easily in the front of my plane carry on so that it is close and ready to go.
My husband will also have a backpack. He will be taking our liquids bag(really, it is just suntan lotion and hand sanitizer), along with our mini first aid kit. I also recommend noise cancelling earphones, especially if you sit behind the wings of the plane. Generally I read for the first 45 minutes, and then I am out like a light! Hubby enjoys listening to his music, as he is not a plane sleeper like me.
So there you have it, my version of how to pack a carry-on for a weekend getaway. Hope it helps you as well.
Shop the post:
How do you pack the perfect carry-on?
*This post was adapted and updated from my other blog, Making Our Life Matter.