Looking for an easy & delicious weeknight meal that can be made in a snap? This recipe for instant pot gumbo will be perfect on a cold and dark Winter evening. You can do prep ahead of time to make it even faster, so you are spending less time in the kitchen and more time at the table with your family.
Winter is always a really crazy time for me when it comes to having time to spend in the kitchen. I am still dealing with retail madness until mid-January, so I come home absolutely exhausted. I generally use my slow cooker menus, but sometimes I am out of the house so early that I don’t have time to get it started.
So when I got my first Instant Pot as a gift, I couldn’t wait to try it. And since this instant pot gumbo is rich and hearty, it is the perfect recipe for these dark and cold evenings.
Basic Recipe Information For Instant Pot Gumbo
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 55 mins
Total: 1 hr
Makes: 10 servings
What You Need To Make Instant Pot Gumbo
- 1/2 lb shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1 tsp Cajun Creole seasoning
- 1/2 C + 2 TBSP olive seasoning
- 1 lb. chicken thighs (boneless and skinless
- 1/2 lb Cajun sausage
- 1/2 C flour
- 1 onion
- 1 bell pepper (green)
- 1 TBSP garlic (minced)
- 4 C chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 bay leaves (small)
- 2 green onions
- 1 bunch of parsley
- White rice (cooked as per package directions) Set aside.
Other Kitchen Tools Needed For This Recipe
trekkingandtasting.com is also a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases you make, using these links does not cost you more!
Directions For The Gumbo Instant Pot Recipe
Your first steps are as follows:
- Cut the chicken thighs into bite size pieces.
- Cut the sausage into 1/4 inch slices.
- Dice the onion to equal 1 cup.
- Dice green bell pepper to equal 1 cup.
- Chop the green part of the green onion to equal 2 tablespoon.
- Chop parsley. Cover and set aside.
- Add Cajun seasoning in a small bowl.
- Add the shrimp rubbing to coat each one.
- Set aside.
Next you are going to:
- Press “Saute” on the Instant Pot.
- Allow the Instant Pot to heat.
- Add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the pot of the Instant Pot.
- Add the sausage and chicken to the Instant Pot.
- Cook both until they are browned. (About 8-10 minutes)
- Press “Cancel” on the Instant Pot.
Move the cooked sausage and chicken to a plate, and set aside.
Next you are going to do the following steps:
- Reserve the liquid in the pot.
- Press “Saute” on the pot.
- Add the rest of the olive oil. Stir.
- Also add in the flour.
- Stir to blend while continuing to cook.
- This mixture should have the appearance of a dark peanut butter.
Stir frequently and make sure the mixture doesn’t burn. (Cooking may take between 10-15 minutes.). Once the roux has been made add the onions, bell pepper, and garlic. Stir until the vegetables are slightly soft. (About 5 minutes).
After that, you are going to:
- Add the broth, tomatoes, white and black pepper, cayenne pepper, thyme, salt, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, and bay leaves.
- Stir until all ingredients are blended.
- Continue to stir as you add int the chicken and sausage.
- Scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spatula.
- Continue to scrape the bottom of the pot until there are no burnt bits stuck to the bottom.
Lastly, you will need to:
- Close the Instant Pot.
- Cook on “Manual” (Or Pressure cook) mode for about 4 minutes.
- “Quick” release then open the Instant Pot.
- Directly following the direction above, stop and add the shrimp. Stir.
- Set aside the Instant Pot for 10 minutes for the shrimp to cook. (No need to turn on as the shrimp will cook in the existing heat in the pot.)
- Open the Instant Pot.
- Garnish the the gumbo with the parsley and chopped green onions.
To Serve The Instant Pot Gumbo
Warm up the rice with a little warm water and butter. Scoop some warm rice in individual bowls and add the hot gumbo over the rice. Simple and completely delicious!