Can you feel it? The subtle hints of Fall are in the air. It is the perfect time to crawl under a blanket with your kiddos and enjoy the day reading. Here are some of the best children’s books about Autumn. There is something for every level of reader, and these titles will be a great addition to your child’s bookshelf.
trekkingandtasting.com is also a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
What You Will Find In This Post:
Autumn Board Books For The Littles
As I may have mentioned before, I absolutely adore board books for the little ones. They are perfect for manipulating(and, according to some babies, chewing) and teaching young ones how to handle books. Here are a few of my favorites.
- Hedgehugs: Autumn Hide-and-Squeak by Steve Wilson. Horace and Hattie are hedgehogs and the very best of friends. Together they make shadow puppets, follow slimy snail trails, and search for spider webs. One autumn day they are watching the leaves fall from the trees when they hear a squeak . . . Could it be a new friend to play with?
- Bright Baby Touch and Feel Fall by Roger Priddy. With seasonal pictures for Fall and Thanksgiving, this is an engaging book to share with babies and toddlers. There are Fall leaves, pumpkins, cranberries and photographs of other familiar things to look at, and the pages have different touch-and-feel textures, which little fingers will love to explore.
- A Pile of Leaves by Jason Fulford. Readers explore the concept of layering and collage with this interactive exercise in composition. Each clear acetate page features a single element in the leaf pile, though some are not leaves at all! As readers turn the pages, the leaf pile is deconstructed piece by piece on the right side, and reconstructed on the left
- Baby Loves Fall! by Karen Katz. Little ones will love lifting the flaps in this book to reveal a yummy apple pie, some crunchy acorns, a soft, fluffy hat, and everything else that Baby loves about fall! The sturdy format and easy-to-lift flaps are perfect for parents and children to share.
The Best Autumn Picture Books For Kids
Picture books are a wonderful addition to your child’s library. And these children’s books about Autumn are showcased in these picture book selections. I hope you enjoy!
- Hello, Fall! by Deborah Diesen. Fall is here! Colorful leaves whisper to each other. Geese honk as they flock across the sky. Pumpkins listen patiently from their patch. The season announces itself in all sorts of ways―if you stop to say hello!
- Every Autumn Comes the Bear by Jim Arnosky. Each autumn, just before the onset of winter, a bear shows up in the rugged woodland behind a family farm.
- Goodbye Summer, Hello Autumn by Kenard Pak. Join a young girl as she takes a walk through forest and town, greeting all the signs of the coming season. In a series of conversations with every flower and creature and gust of wind, she says good-bye to summer and welcomes autumn.
- Tractor Mac: Autumn is Here by Billy Steers. Fergus the calf doesn’t want autumn to come to Stony Meadow Farm. Not if it means the corn stalks are cut, the trees lose their leaves, and his bird friends migrate away. Why can’t things just stay the same? But with the help of Tractor Mac and the rest of his friends, Fergus realizes that there are plenty of fun things about autumn, too, as he learns to appreciate what makes each season special.
I just want to add one more thought about the picture books. They are great for starting conversations about the seasons. You may get so engrossed you will forget time and place. I recommend tossing a Fall recipe into your slow cooker before you get started!
Beginning Readers About Fall
The children’s books about Autumn seem to lack a bit in the beginning readers department. I found a bunch about apples, but it took me some time to find these. I think your kids will enjoy them.
- Vampirina in the Fall by Disney Book Group. Vampirina thinks Fall is fang-tastic-the eerie chill in the air, the crunch of dead leaves, the scent of rotten apples… This Level 1 reader with a sheet of Fall-themed stickers will be a book kids can really sink their teeth into!
- Mouse Loves Fall by Lauren Thompson. One cool fall day, Mouse and Minka come out to play! They are greeted by red, yellow, orange, and brown leaves of all shapes and sizes. Mouse runs and skips and kicks and swishes through all the leaves.
- Ashlyn’s Fall Fiesta by WellieWishers. Ashlyn’s fall fiesta is going perfectly. . .until the wind comes and ruins everything! Can the other WellieWishers help Ashlyn have fun at the party, even when things don’t go as planned?
- A Fairy-Tale Fall by Apple Jordan. How do Cinderella, Belle, Ariel, and all the Disney princesses celebrate Halloween?
Chapter Books Featuring Autumn
- Autumn and the Falling Leaves Fairy by Daisy Meadows. Rachel and Kirsty love the fall! They can’t wait to go apple picking, carve pumpkins, and take a hayride. But this fall, everything is going all wrong — because Autumn the Falling Leaves Fairy’s magic is missing! Can the girls help her outsmart Jack Frost and his goblins, and make sure that fall is fun again?
- Happy Fell by Erica Perl. On one brisk, chilly day, Arnold the bear is determined to stay inside and make popcorn balls. But his best friend, Louise the chipmunk, wants to be outside and make leaf piles. After all, the leaves have finally fallen to the ground, bringing the first day of what Louise calls fell, the season between fall and winter. An argument ensues, so they decide to do their preferred activities separately. But when they both realize that one thing is missing–each other–can they find a way to celebrate together?
- Sophie Mouse: The Maple Festival by Poppy Green. It’s finally fall in Silverlake Forest, and that means it’s time for the annual Maple Festival! The animals have heard it is going to be the biggest one yet with games, rides and, of course, Lily Mouse’s famous maple-filled bake-stand. Sophie is delighted when her mother asks for her help baking the goodies for the festival. When they get there, Sophie runs off to play with her friends…until she notices that no one has come to her mother’s stand! Can she use some quick thinking and her artistic skills to draw customers in?
- The Phantom Bandit by Geronimo Stilton. While vacationing at Skull Castle Geronimo stumbles on a mystery. A ghost cat is threatening the special pumpkins that grow in the Von Cacklefurs’ garden! Can Geronimo find out who wants to steal the pumpkins?
Autumn Books For Fun
Here are some cute Autumn activity and cookbooks your entire family will enjoy!
So now that I shared some great children’s books about Autumn(and well, for grownups too), here are some awesome Autumn-themed items you will enjoy for you.
Cool Autumn Stuff For At Home
Here are a some great suggestions for Autumn for at home. I hope you enjoy shopping. These my affiliate links and you can read more here.