I love looking for new ways to enjoy holiday celebrations. You know, Christmas, birthdays, Thanksgiving, etc. But what about those other ones? Here are some fun ways to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. From food & drinks, desserts, and activities too, you will find something to have your perfect party.
This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on my link and buy something, I will earn a small commission from the advertiser at no additional cost to you. Need more info? Here is my affiliate policy you can read.
Everything thinks of birthdays and Christmas or Thanksgiving as the most common celebrations. Definitely some of my favorite times, but it is also fun to celebrate some of those unusual holidays, like “May The Fourth Be With You“. Any Star Wars fan will agree.
Enter today’s fun holiday. Let’s talk a bit about it, then share some food & drink recipes and some party ideas.
How Did Cinco de Mayo Start?
The date is observed to commemorate the Mexican Army’s victory over the French Empire at the Battle of Puebla, on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza. Interestingly enough, this holiday is not observed in Mexico. You can read more details on Wikipedia.
Why Do We Celebrate Cinco de May?
So why do Americans celebrate this holiday? Some say it is to honor the Mexican-American culture. These celebrations began in California, where they have been observed annually since 1863. The day gained nationwide popularity in the 1980s thanks especially to advertising campaigns by beer and wine companies.
Now, it is just a time to gather, eat great food, and yes, drink beer. Whatever the reason you are enjoying it, you can have a lot fun.
Food And Drink Ideas To Celebrate Cinco de Mayo
One of the first things that you think of when you hear “Cinco de Mayo” is the food and drink. Hey, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. So I am happy to share a few food and drink recipes that you can enjoy!
Snack Recipes To Begin Your Day
So if you are having a party, or just enjoying it on your day off, here are some snack ideas you can eat while you wait for your main meal.
- The Kittchen shares a recipe for 7 layer taco dip. This crowd pleasing dip can be prepared in just 5 minutes, and, according to its creator, is one of the first things to be eaten at her parties.
- Skinny taco dip from is a light and zesty appetizer that is a serious crowd-pleaser. The creative bite certainly knows what she is doing!
- The Welcoming Table shares a recipe for Couldn’t Be Easier Homemade Salsa. This is music to my ears and a party in my tummy!
- Made with just three ingredients — Velveeta, Rotel and Hamburger — this Rotel dip has the perfect amount of spicy heat in each bite. by Spaceships & Laser Beams
Meal Ideas To Celebrate Cinco de Mayo
Food is always the center of any celebration. And with so many ways to enjoy it, you can’t go wrong. Many of these recipes are perfect for a sit down meal, a buffet-style meal, or a grab-and-go meal. Whatever way you choose to serve it, you will find something that everyone will enjoy.
- Slow Cooker Shredded Chipotle Chicken is the perfect combination of spicy and simple. Serve over rice or in a tortilla for Cindo de Mayo-worthy meal. by Trekking and Tasting.
- An Instant Pot Tamale Pie recipe that you can make on a weeknight without fuss. It has all of the taste of tamales but done in under an hour. by Two Sleevers
- This easy and delicious grilled Carne Asada Marinade uses traditional flavors and makes it so easy to have authentic street tacos and burrito bowls in no time! by This Delicious Home
- This Taco Casserole Recipe is loaded with all of your Mexican favorites and topped with Doritos, Fritos, or Tortilla Chips! It’s easy to assemble days ahead of time and bake later for an easy dinner! by The Cozy Cook
- Want to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, but need to ditch the carbs? Make this easy shrimp taco recipe with a cheese taco shell. by Dr. Davinah’s Eats
- Looking for a little dinnertime spice? These cheesy chicken enchiladas are perfect for a tasty dining experience everyone in the family. Easy to make, and perfect to freeze for later. Your entire family will enjoy this amazing meal. by Trekking and Tasting
- A lighter twist on the classic fajita recipe! Stuff lettuce leaves instead of tortillas with all the tasty ingredients for a healthier low carb version with all the flavor! by Emma Eats & Explores
- There are Chicken Tacos and there are Chorizo Tacos. Put them together and you get Chicken and Chorizo Tacos! Ground chicken gets a flavor boost from the chorizo in these easy and delicious tacos. by Sidewalk Shoes
- These flavorful fajitas make the perfect weeknight dinner; the Ras el Hanout chicken can marinate throughout the day and will be flavorful, tender and ready for the grill or skillet by dinnertime. by The Spice Train
- Carne Asada Street Tacos, or tacos de carne asada, is the best way to eat skirt steak! It’s made by beautifully searing steak, slicing it thin and served on top of warmed corn tortillas with diced white onion, avocado, radishes, and lime wedges. by Food Folks And Fun
Desserts To Finish Off Your Cinco de Mayo Celebration
And no celebration is complete without having a dessert. In fact, sometimes I start with a dessert since they are generally wiped out as soon as they are served. I guess that is one of the benefits of being the party hostess!
- Gluten-Free ‘Pastel De Elote’ Sweet Mexican Corn Cake This traditional dessert is moist, dense, with a bread pudding like texture. Baked in a bundt pan, with fresh corn, and topped with a light glaze, this treat will be gone in a flash! by Strength & Sunshine
- Sweet fluffy dough stuffed with cheesecake and topped with cinnamon sugar. It is really hard to go wrong with something as good as these easy Sopapilla Cheesecake Bars! by Cooking With Carlee
- An absolutely delicious and berry filled no bake pie that comes out creamy and irresistible with just a few ingredients. Strawberry Margarita Pie by Grandbaby Cakes
- Salted Caramel Tres Leches Cake is drenched with Condensed Milk, Evaporated Milk, Half & Half and Salted Caramel finished with homemade Salted Caramel. by Confessions Of A Baking
- These Mojito Cupcakes are the perfect dessert to help you celebrate Cinco de Mayo. by Jen Around The World
- Healthy and colorful Cinco de Mayo Popsicles represent the colors of the Mexican flag! by The View From Great Island
- If you’re looking for the perfect frozen grown up treat, then look no further than this Watermelon, Lime and Tequila Granita! It has grown up fun written all over it! by Sidewalk Shoes
- Break open one of these colorful Sombrero Piñata Cookies to reveal the surprise inside! These festive candy filled treats will be perfect for Cinco de Mayo or a Mexican Fiesta.
The Perfect Drink Recipes To Enjoy
And you cannot have a Cinco de Mayo party without some delicious beverages. It is amazing to see our local establishments with their different drink specials. Save money by making your own at home, and stay safe at the same time since you don’t have to drive.
Let’s face it, sitting on your own deck or patio and enjoying your drinks is definitely a great way to spend this holiday.
- Flour on my Face is a lady after my own heart. Her recipe for fruity sangria. A bottle of wine, and a few ingredients makes this a perfect drink to enjoy on Cinco de Mayo.
- This recipe for a super simple berry apple cocktail will be perfect for your holiday celebration. A blend of fruit juices and Caribbean rum, you will be ready to party all night. by Trekking and Tasting
- This tasty strawberry margarita is made with fresh juicy strawberries, tangy lime juice and tequila. Perfect for summer sipping and holiday celebrations! by Cooking On The Front Burner
- Learn how to make blood orange margaritas at home with fresh blood oranges (or bottled juice), limes, raw honey, and 100% agave silver tequila. This drink recipe looks beautiful (the color is gorgeous), goes down easy, and uses simple ingredients that are easy to find. by The Rising Spoon
- Frozen Spicy Pineapple margaritas are made with spicy tequila or Vodka of your choice, fresh pineapples, limes, lemons, Gran Gala, simple syrup, and ice. by Passports & Grub
Not into margaritas? No problem. Here are some other adult beverage recipes you can check out to find your perfect drink pairing.
Party Ideas And Activities To Enjoy On This Holiday
And what is a celebration without activities? Not a fun one. So here are some ideas you can use during your party. And, of course, you can involve the kids with some fun activities and worksheets. Do you have other ideas to add? Leave a comment and let me know what you are doing to celebrate Cinco de Mayo.
Awesome Party & Craft Ideas
- How to plan a Pinterest-worthy Cinco de Mayo party! by Life Anchored
- Make the easiest paper flowers ever and brighten your fiesta! by Cool Moms Cool Tips
- Fun tissue paper flowers with a Mexican flair by Tikkido
- This easy to make sugar skull is fashioned from an old Mason jar. by Ann’s Entitled Life
- How to make a papel picado Mexican cutout banners from Dollar Store items. by Made With Happy
- You will love this fun craft and these DIY Miniature Pinatas make the perfect party decor for any event. by Family Focus Blog
Activities For Kids
- Simple Fun For Kids is sharing a Skip counting printable your kids can do during the day. How fun is that?
- How about a Cindo de Mayo word search for the kids. by Moms & Munchkins
- Easy Cinco de Mayo Craft For Kids: PAPEL PICADO by Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Celebrate the Cinco de Mayo by coloring this Cinco de Mayo Coloring Pages with your kids to keep them entertained and learning something at the same time. by April Golightly
Surprises For Cinco de Mayo You Wouldn’t Have Thought Of
- Did you know that you can involve your pets in a Cinco de Mayo celebration? See what Irresistible Pets suggests to celebrate Cinco de Mayo with your pets!
So, as you can see, there is a lot you can do to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. Whether it is a small party at home, or a big bash at a friend’s house, you will be ready for anything!