One of my favorite things about Summer vacation is having time to sit and read some great books. While I work in a bookstore all year-round, I don’t often have time to read for fun. So today I thought I would share some of the best beach reads for your entire family to enjoy on your next vacation.
I have to admit, I have always been a bit book obsessed. My tastes have changed over the course of the years, but my love of reading has not. I thought it would be great to share all the best beach reads for your family that you can take with you on your next vacation.
Best Beach Reads For Mom:
I know that vacation is generally the time when I get most of my Summer beach reading done. So I thought I would share some of my favorite titles from authors I read on a consistent basis. These are generally fluffy beach reads, although Lisa Scottoline is the first mystery author that I read on a consistent basis.
- Someone Knows by Lisa Scottoline
- The Summer Guests by Mary Alice Monroe
- Surfside Sisters by Nancy Thayer
- Sunset Beach by Mary Kay Andrews
Best Beach Reads For Dad:
Now, my husband doesn’t always have time to relax and read. But when we are on vacation, he does take time to do a bit of reading. While he tends to stick to sports related titles, I know that there are other guys out there that will enjoy these titles.
- A Dog Named Beautiful: A Marine, a Dog, and a Long Road Trip Home by Rob Kugler
- A Craftsman’s Legacy: why Working with Our Hands Gives Us Meaning by Eric Gorges
- Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup by John Carreyrou
- The Grand Canyon and the Southwest by Ansel Adams
Best Beach Reads For Teen Girls:
Teen girls(at least what I hear from others) love to spend time on the beach working on their tans and catching up on their reading. After all, now that school is over they can actually read for fun. So here are some of my favorite pic for teen girls. And, truthfully, I have read a few of them myself.
- If I Stay by Gayle Forman
- We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
- Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Best Beach Reads For Teen Guys:
Believe it or not, there are actually boys out there that like to read while they are on vacation. So I thought I would share some of the most popular titles that I recommend when I am at work.
- Unwind by Neal Shusterman
- The Alchemyst by Michael Scott
- The Prisoner of Cell 25 by Richard Paul Evans
- No Safety in Numbers by Dayna Lorentz
Best Beach Reads For Middle Grade Girls:
It is so amazing to see that middle grade girls actually love to read when they are given a book that challenges them. Many of the kids today are really into the graphic novels, although they are not my favorite. I guess that is from the generation I grew up in where we read books that had mostly words.
- Isle of the Lost by Melissa de la Cruz
- Tales from a Not-So-Fabulous Life by Rachel Renee Russell
- Katie and the Cupcake Cure by Coco Simon
- Invisible Emmie by Terri Libenson
Best Beach Reads For Middle Grade Boys:
Again, sometimes these kids amaze me with what they actually want to do on their Summer vacation. I am finding more and more that middle grade boys actually do want to read. So here are some of my favorites to share with them.
- Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer by John Grisham
- Fablehaven by Brandon Mull
- Middle School: The Worst Years of My Life by James Patterson
- The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan
Best Beach Reads For The Younger Grades:
Just because school is over, emerging readers should not continue to use their newly-acquired reading schools. Here are a few titles that will keep their interest going, even when they are having a blast on the beach.
- The Scaredy Cat(Purrmaids Series) by Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen
- Eva’s Treetop Festival(Owl Diaries Series) by Rebecca Elliott
- Bad Kitty by Nick Bruel
- Ivy and Bean by Annie Barrows
- The Incredible Shrinking Kid(Stink Series) by Megan McDonald
- The Haunted Library by Dori Butler
- The Fenway Foul-Up(Ballpark Mysteries Series) by David Kelly
- Rise of the Balloon Goons(Notebook of Doom Series) by Troy Cummings
Best Beach Reads For The Preschool Family Members:
What happens if you have a rainy day at the beach when you have little ones? You spend time reading, of course! So here are a few of my favorite picture books that you can toss in your beach bag for a rainy day.
- Ocean Meets Sky by Terry Fan
- I Am Not a Fish! by Peter Raymundo
- Tropical Terry by Jarvis
- The Rainbow Fish By Marcus Pfister
Best Beach Reads For The Littlest Family Members:
I love these titles because they are great for babies AND they are sturdy board books that will survive sand, falls, and little fits of anger. And these titles are perfect for your beach vacation!
- Curious George Curious About Summer by H.A. Rey
- Good Night Beach by Adam Gamble
- Hello, World! Ocean Life by Jill McDonald
- Alphaprints Sea Life by Roger Priddy
So there are just a few of my favorite beach reads that any member of the family can enjoy while you are on vacation. Do you have a favorite title? Be sure to share it here, I am always look for new recommendations!
The Perfect Beach Reading Accessories:
Other Vacation Posts You Will Enjoy:
- Splash Zone Wildwood
- Le Voyageur Motel: Family-Friendly Motel in Wildwood NJ
- How To Create A Beachcombing Bag
- Starlux Mini-Golf in Wildwood NJ